A Gardnerville teen is facing four to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty Monday to armed robbery.
"I will not accept a recommendation for bootcamp," said District Judge Michael Griffin after hearing Daniel Matthew Simons plead guilty to one count of robbery. "I will put you in prison."
Simons, 17, is charged in the March 24 robbery of the Radio Shack at the Carson Mall.
According to court records, the teen allegedly walked into the store around 9 a.m. and asked the clerk about speaker wire.
When the only other customer left, Simons reportedly pulled a handgun and demanded money from the lone female employee.
After receiving an undisclosed amount of cash the gunman fled on foot.
Simons was stopped in a vehicle nearby where a pellet gun, money and speaker wire were found in his vehicle.
In court on Monday, Simons said he needed the money for his girlfriend.
"And, of course, I was doing meth," he said.
Griffin said he wouldn't likely consider an argument for bootcamp or probation considering the charge.
"Something other than prison? That's not an option in Carson City if you point a gun and rob somebody," he said.
Robbery carries a penalty of 24 to 120 months in prison. The use of a deadly weapon automatically doubles that sentence.
Simons will celebrate his 18th birthday at the Carson City Jail on Friday.
Also before Griffin on Monday:
• Edith Frances Curtis, 54, was sentenced to four years probation, with 12 to 32 months in prison suspended, on a charge of embezzlement.
• Walter Earl Ray, 49, pleaded guilty to third-offense drunken driving. He will be sentenced July 24.
• Jamie Lopez, 18, pleaded guilty to possession of narcotics for the purpose of sale. He will be sentenced July 24.
• Kristy Ann Mitchell, 23, pleaded guilty to trafficking. She will be sentenced July 24.
• Destiny Denice Shull, 27, pleaded guilty to theft. She will be sentenced July 31.
• Justin Snyder, 27, was sentenced to four years probation, with a suspended prison sentence of 12 to 36 months, on a charge of possession of a controlled substance.
• Bismark Venegas-Fonseca, 37, will be tried July 25 on suspicion of felony robbery with a deadly weapon and eluding police.
• Joseph Thomas Warhol, 26, pleaded guilty to attempted robbery. "I'm a drug addict and I'm finally able to admit that to myself. I have no will power over drugs."
• Desmond Timentwa, 26, pleaded guilty to attempted lewdness with a child under 14. He is accused of trying to molest the 12-year-old daughter of a friend. Timentwa denied that when the judge asked him directly if he wanted to have sex with the girl Monday. "I just had a little too much to drink that night and I made the wrong choice," he said. Timentwa has a previous conviction for a sex offense. He will be sentenced Aug. 7.
• Contact reporter F.T. Norton at email@example.com or 881-1213.