A man who ripped off his girlfriend's disabled son was sent to prison Tuesday.
David Joseph Catalani, 32, was sentenced Tuesday to 12 to 32 months in prison on a charge grand larceny. He was given a suspended jail sentence of 12 months on a charge of exploitation of a vulnerable person.
Catalani was jailed in February after his girlfriend's son Jared Dempsey, 20, reported Catalani stole his iPad, camera and a $2,000 World Wrestling Entertainment belt given to him by a WWE wrestler. Cerebral palsy has rendered Dempsey a quadriplegic and affected his speech.
Catalani initially denied his involvement, but police later recovered the items from area pawn shops where Catalani had taken them.
Also in Carson City District Court this week:
• Ramon Alvarado Pena, 30, pleaded guilty to trafficking methamphetamine. He faces 10 years to life in prison when sentenced June 14.
• Rebecca Katherine Beebe, 23, pleaded guilty to felony reckless driving with substantial bodily injury. According to court documents, Beebe fled the scene after backing into a pedestrian in a grocery store parking lot March 17. When contacted by police later, Beebe allegedly said she left the scene because she thought the woman was a "tweaker whore trying to scam her," according to the police report. The victim suffered broken hand bones, two fracture ribs and a tissue injury to her left leg. Beebe faces one to six years in prison when sentenced June 21.
• Leza Louann Bulman, 37, pleaded guilty to gross misdemeanor exploitation of an elderly person. According to the arrest report, in 2008 Bulman was awarded guardianship of her grandmother Yvonne Crow, 84, described as having "cognitive impairments and ... unable to independently meet her current care needs."
At that time, Crow had more than $300,000 in the bank, the report states.
When the nursing home where Crow was staying reported payments weren't being made on Crow's account, Aging Services became involved, and then investigators.
The investigation allegedly revealed Bulman was using her grandmother's money to pay rent, her sister's rent, phone and auto repair bills and was loaning out money.
According to the report, when the investigation was opened in May, Crow's account had a zero balance and Bulman was allegedly trying to sell her grandmother's property in Palm Springs, Calif.
She will be sentenced June 21.
• Donald Eugene Ford, 41, was sentenced to 12 to 30 months in prison on one count of sale of a controlled substance and one count of conspiracy to violate the uniform controlled substance act. Co-defendant Sharon Gulizia, 39, a native of New Zealand was given the exact sentence and faces deportation.
• Brandon Michael Hicks, 18, pleaded not guilty to one count of kidnapping, two counts of battery with intent to commit sexual assault by choking and three counts of sexual assault. A five-day trial is set to begin June 10.
• A trial is set for Oct. 3 for Dallas Pruett, 22, charged with 14 counts of possession of child pornography.
• Roger Hipple, 47, was sentenced to 12 to 36 months in prison on a charge of possession of stolen property.
• Kristi Lyn Reed, 34, will go to trial on May 25 on charges of battery with a deadly weapon and attempt to leave the scene of accident.