Greenhouse Garden Center has released its schedule of seminars through March.
• Bonsai 101: 1-2 p.m. today. Travis Unruh, owner of Green Lizard Landscaping, presents how to bonsai a plant and how to shape and maintain a plant once it has been bonsai. He also will talk about the art of bonsai, types of plants that adapt well to this procedure, and equipment and supplies needed for bonsai. The class is free, but reservations are required.
• Growing Mushrooms: 10-2 p.m. Feb. 26. Dan and Rachel McClure, owners of Nevada's Own Perennials, will present a seminar on shitake (Blue Oyster) mushrooms. They will talk about how to grow these mushrooms from a kit and give cooking demonstrations for preparing the mushrooms as well as recipes. Reservations are required for this class and the cost is $35, which includes a mushroom kit.
March seminars are:
• Annual Pruning Clinic: 10 a.m.-noon, March 5 with Dick Post and Tom Henderson. Seminar begins at 10 a.m. with a hands-on workshop at 11 a.m. Free, no reservations are required. Dress for outdoor event.
• Selecting The Right Seeds For Great Seasonal Vegetables: 1-2 p.m. March 6. With Julie Ruf, former seed rep for Botanical Interests seeds. Call for reservations.
• Let's Get A Jump On Spring: 10 a.m. March 12 with David Ruf. Topics include how and when to fertilize, the benefits of using organics, and how to prevent weeds and bugs in your yard and garden this summer by taking measures now. Weather permitting this seminar will be held outdoors so a jacket may be desired. Free.
• Spring Pond Startup: 10 a.m. March 19 with David Ruf. As temperatures rise, it's time to be thinking about annual spring maintenance and startup of your pond. Free. No reservations required. The seminar will be held outdoors and a jacket may be necessary.
• Gardening Naturally With Beneficial Insects and Micro-organisms: 10-11 a.m., March 26 with David Ruf. Learn how to garden without using harmful chemicals by using beneficial insects and micro-organisms. Free. Reservations are not required
The Greenhouse Garden Center is located at 2450 S Curry St. For more information or to register for seminars, call 775-882-8600.