Teri’s Notebook: Running to end Alzheimer’s and drunk birds in Carson City

Mark Struble has been busy raising money and training for the California International Marathon in Sacramento on Dec. 7.

“My personal campaign is to raise $10,000 in my Run to End Alzheimer’s fund drive for the Alzheimer’s Association,” he said. “I will be racing the 26.2 miles in honor of my mom, Ruth, and late grandmother, Eloise, both impacted by the disease. Due to generous donations I am 75 percent of the way to that goal.”

However, the scope of his efforts have been taken to a new level.

“Mere words are sadly inadequate to express how humbled and excited I am that the Alzheimer’s Association has named me to the 20-person Run to End Alzheimer’s — Boston 2015 team to race in the 119th Boston Marathon on April 20,” he announced. “After all, the Boston Marathon is the world’s oldest annual marathon and ranks as one of the world’s most prestigious road racing events, having distinguished itself by virtue of its racing traditions and longevity. The Boston Marathon will be my fourth marathon run in 16 months.”

His team goal is to raise $200,000 for individuals and families affected by the disease. Contributions will go directly to improve the lives of those affected by Alzheimer’s by providing enhanced care and support.

“But in the end, this campaign is less about running marathons as it is about helping people deal with a cruel and devastating disease,” he said. “I am asking local residents to please support me with a fully tax-deductible contribution. Every donation, no matter the size, is appreciated and gets us closer to a cure.”

Supporters may donate at https://www.crowdrise.com/alzheimerassociationboston2015/fundraiser/markstruble.


You’re probably already friends with Jeff Moser on Facebook. But if you’re not, you shouldn’t miss out on this story he posted this week.

I loved it:

We were out for a walk and found a bird that flew into a glass paneled shelter. We often find dead birds here, and figured this little guy was doomed as well. I poked him, he hopped, and left something gooey behind. “Oh no, its guts are falling out!” I thought.

It bugged us to leave it there to suffer, so we planned a mercy killing. We’d bag it up, then dispatch it somehow. Neither party would see what was happening, and it’d be over quickly. As we carried it off, it seemed to come to life again.

An examination revealed no real wounds, with only a bit of the gooey stuff around its neck. The execution was stayed, and we made a bed of leaves for it, hoping it might recover.

Just as we were about to leave, a maintenance guy was out taking care of the dead birds near the shelter that didn’t survive the impact.

We started talking to him, and he said, “Oh yeah, all the berries on the trees are fermented right now, and the birds are getting drunk and flying into things!”

When I looked at the old berries on the tree next to us and got a whiff of them, I realized what the gooey stuff was all over the bird!

Now we were more hopeful. The bird was probably just looking at a headache and a decent hangover.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment